Thursday, November 6, 2014

Sound Walk

I went walking near Penn Station while waiting for a train that was an hour away. This was a particularly interesting night to do a soundwalk because I encountered 2 different groups of street musicians. The first that I encountered was a group of 3 bucket drummers using old paint cans as instruments. The metal made an interesting sound especially contrasting the sound of the cars on the street. The second group I encountered was a small Jazz band with a japanese man playing the saxophone leading them. This was by far my favorite of the three. It reminded me of this show I used to watch called Cowboy Bebop that had a soundtrack that was very heavily jazz influenced.  Although finding music itself on the streets is always fun, what struck me most about the walk was how different I heard the sounds of the city. When you are making it a point to listen to the sounds of the city you can be surprised. The sounds of car horns, people talking, and living there lives takes on a whole different meaning. It actually opened my eyes to what I could use in video to add depth to what I'm trying to showcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment